The Naval Postgraduate School‘s Center for Homeland Defense and Security (CHDS) released a K-12 school shooting database project as part of their Advanced Thinking in Homeland Security program. They found the need for accurate, detailed information on this subject was paramount.
The database documents every instance a gun is wielded, fired, or a bullet hits school property for any reason, regardless of the number of victims, time, day of the week, or reason.
K-12 School Shooting Statistics
- There have been 1,300 school shooting incidents since 1970.
- 2018 had the greatest number of incidents since 1970, with 82 recorded incidents. The next highest year was 2006 with 59 incidents.
- 2018 was the highest year for the number of victims killed, including the shooter, with 51 killed.
- California, Texas and Florida are the top three states in the U.S. with the most incidents.
- 669 incidents occurred outside on school property and 588 occurred inside the school building.
- Most school shootings occurred in the morning.
The CHDS provided all of their K-12 school shooting statistics in graphs, tables and charts.
The post K-12 School Shooting Statistics Everyone Should Know appeared first on Campus Safety Magazine.